MyoStim Pacers Patent Analysis Related to Proposed Fields of Use
1. Increases blood vessel formation and blood flow in any muscle including arms and legs = Kanno 6,988,005
Note - The above heals wounds and foot or ankle ulcers in lower limb ischemia patients because the underlying cause of the wounds is low blood flow to the extremities (feet). The word "ischemia" means lack of blood flow.
Patent: Kanno 6,988,005
Issued: January 17, 2006 - valid to 2023 or 2028 with 5 year extension applied.
Kanno Patent Claims
1. A method for increasing VEGF mRNA in a muscle cell comprising the step of applying electrical voltage to the muscle cell, wherein the electrical voltage does not induce contraction of the muscle cell and wherein VEGF mRNA is increased after application of the electrical voltage.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the voltage is 0.1V applied at a frequency of 50 Hz.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the muscle is a smooth muscle.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein the muscle is a skeletal muscle.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the muscle is a cardiac muscle
Rationale: VEGF mRNA expression causes existing blood vessels to sprout new branches and recruits endothelial progenitor cells from fat tissue to help build brand new blood vessels.
Note - We now know that this same Kanno signal produces hepatocyte growth factor which is not only a potent angiogenic agent but also serves to reduce risk of arrhythmias in the heart.
Top candidate applications:
1. Treating critical limb ischemia (low blood flow in legs) to avoid leg amputations.
2. Treating heart ischemia (low blood flow) = angina (chest pain) and heart failure (heart failing due to large scar area post heart attack).
3. Wound healing.
4. Treating diabetic foot ulcers.
Top three supporting data papers:
1. Establishment of a simple and practical procedure applicable to - NCBI
2. Electrical stimulation directly induces pre-angiogenic responses in ...
These are the two signals which cause SDF-1 to be released and serves three purposes 1. Homing signal for stem cells emanating from fat, bone marrow and circulating blood and 2. A potent arteriogenic factor causing mature (they have a true endothelium lining and do not leak) large diameter blood vessels to grow at 300% greater rate than VEGF which creates 1/3 the volume of new vessels and they are leaky, small diameter and with no true mature endothelium lining. 3. This signal multiples/proliferates not only recruited stem cells but also resident cells.
1. 30 pulses per second with a voltage of 3.5 mV, and successively alternating currents of 700 to 1500 picoamps for one minute.
2. Stimulated with current of 0.25 mA, pulse duration of 40 pulses/s, pulse width of 100 μs, and frequency of 100 Hz for 1 or 4 h.
This signal is a booster signal for proliferating cells at a faster rate....
2. Th electrical stimulation has a frequency of about 120 pulses per minute, a pulse amplitude of from 2.5-6 volts, and a pulse width of from 0.2-0.7 milliseconds
This is the signal with reverse polarity of the above SDF-1 producing signal to trigger differentiation.
1. 15 mV and a current of 500 picoamps at 70 pulses per minute.
Note - A 200 picoamp signal creates cardiac muscle (made easier if you ALSO inject or infuse a cardiogenic cocktail of proteins derived from culturing cardiomyocytes and stimulating them in culture with the 120 beats per minute 2.5 to 6V and pulse width of 0.2 to 0.7 seconds).
This is the Kanno signal for causing tissue to release VEGF and Hepatocyte Growth Factor which causes new blood vessels to grow..
1. The voltage is 0.1V applied at a frequency of 50 Hz.
Note - All these signals are calibrated for 2cms depth in tissue NOT the originating signal coming out of the device. The device has to calibrate the fat and skin resistance to deliver a higher signal to get the lower ending signals through all the resistance at 2cms deep into the tissue.